SeaMonkey: my way to backup

In my previous post, I suggested to create a backup of your SeaMonkey’s options before to try a change. Ok… but how can I save my data ? I don’t know if there is a simpler way or if my way is a “well known” one, but this blog was born just to collect a series of small notes that can be forgotten (by me) if not stored anywhere. So, please remember: this note is just for my personal use… if you want to try it on your computer, you’re free to do it, but you assume the duty of everything can go wrong.

I love SeaMonkey… it’s a browser, a mail client, and also an IRC client, if you like to chat. It’s free, it’s fast, it’s “light” and (in my opinion) it’s very easy to backup. Look at this screenshot taken on Win7 OS (click on miniature to enlarge):

0125_pic02The backup process is very simple. Search for the folder of your user account (on my computer, the folder is under /Users/EF) ; when found, simply right click on folder -SeaMonkey- and select “send to compressed folder”. The result will be the file SeaMonkey.zip. This file is a complete backup of all your Browser / Email and (I suppose, ‘cause I don’t use it) IRC accounts. I tried to transfer all my accounts (email, browser’s preferences, passwords, buffers) to another computer running the “good old” Win XP OS. The only difference is the name of the folder (obviously, you would have a running copy of SeaMonkey on that XP computer). Look at this picture. The file path bar shows “Administrator” in place of “EF” and “Application Data” in place of “AppData”… but it’s always me 🙂

0125_pic01You can simply copy your SeaMonkey.zip file, saved under Win7, onto this directory. After that, rename the existent SeaMonkey folder with something like: “SeaMonkey-xp” and then unzip the compressed file ; this will produce a new -SeaMonkey- folder that’s is exactly the copy of the one you have on Win7 PC. Now, opening the SeaMonkey application, will give you a full copy on XP of all your (browser and email) data copied from Win7. Obviously, you can do the same on Win7 ; the zipped file is a real back-up. I use this way to save my data… may be there is one better or similar, it doesn’t matter for me ; this is “just the way I did it”.

About Win7, may be you cannot find the directory where the SeaMonkey data is saved, due to the “hidden” flag of such directory. I suggest to make all the folders visible, using the setting shown here:

0125_pic00The picture is taken on my PC, that runs Italian as default language. Run Control Panel, then search for “show hidden files and folders” and click the check box. The AppData folder will be visible, after that.

SeaMonkey: cambiare ricerca da google.com a google.it

Ho di recente installato il browser SeaMonkey perché a mio parere è più veloce e meno pesante di Firefox, sebbene sia basato sullo stesso “motore” Mozilla. Eseguendo le ricerche dalla barra di esplorazione, ricevevo sempre risultati da google.com e mi interessava, invece, riceverli da google.it. Esplorando la cartella di installazione del programma C:\Program Files (x86)\SeaMonkey\ ho trovato una sottocartella chiamata searchplugins e all’interno di questa il file google.xml . A questo punto ho trascinato tale file sul desktop (richiede il permesso da amministratore) e con un editor di testo (io uso Geany) ho modificato le tre occorrenze di google.com esistenti nel testo in google.it ; ho quindi salvato il file modificato e dal desktop l’ho nuovamente trascinato sulla cartella searchplugins (anche qui viene richiesto il permesso da amministratore). Al successivo lancio di SeaMonkey, digitando una richiesta, il browser l’ha correttamente inviata a google.it anziché a google.com.

Nota: oggi ho fatto una modifica alle impostazioni di SeaMonkey (edit – preferences – languages) aggiungendo l’italiano ai due linguaggi di default (inglese US e UK) ed ho visto che la ricerca veniva ancora indirizzata a google.it, ma i risultati erano quelli relativi ad un utente “internazionale”. Alla fine ho deciso di rimuovere sia l’italiano che l’inglese (US e UK) lasciando il riquadro dei linguaggi completamente vuoto e così ricevo i risultati corretti. Non ho notato problemi in altre fasi di navigazione web.